Tuesday, December 2, 2008

What is the Goal of Life?


The spiritual journey is the journey from complain to gratitude. There are three stages: first one is of a worldly person, second is of a seeker and third one of the saint. Worldly person means one who always lives in complaint. Seeker means one who sometimes lives in complaint and sometimes in gratitude. Partly complaint and partly thankfulness and saint is the one who always lives in thankfulness. This can be the deciding factor of your life that whether you are worldly person, or a seeker or a saint. Always live in gratitude.
I always tell to my own people that thank the person who has done well for you and even thank the person who has been bad to you. Because if he would have wished to do wrong he could have been worse to you but thank him for not being worse. If you live in this state of gratitude then you are a saint, you are the one who is intoxicated in the Divinity.


There was a disciple of Gautam Buddha named as Purna. He attained enlightenment. Gautam Buddha told him to go out and spread the divine message. Purna replied, “I do not want to go but if it is your order then I will have to go.” Gautam Buddha asked, “Where will you like to go?” Purna replied, “If you permit me, I would like to go to Purniya?” Purniya is a place in Bihar. It is named after Purna which was previously at the bank of river Koshi. The river has shifted 100 kilometers eastward from there. Gautam Buddha said, “What are you saying? Do you want to go to Purniya? Don’t you know that people over there are so wicked? Ram’s in laws place Janakpur was nearby, but even he did not go there. Mahavir’s birth place was in Vaishal, but even he did not go
here, I myself have gone to Vaishali, but never dared to go to Purniya. The people over there are so cruel. Then why do you want to go to Purniya?”
Purna replied, “That is why I wish to go there. Where my master could not go, I must go to spread his message. Only then can I be a disciple. I must go there.” Gautam Buddha said, “I can allow you to go there, but there are two-three questions, which I would like to ask. There are many cruel people there. If somebody abuses you, insults you, then what will you do?” Purna replied, “Then I will thank them, that they are only abusing me, not hitting me”. Buddha asked, “If they hit you, then what you will do?” Purna replied, “Then I will thank them that they are only hitting me, not killing me.” Gautam Buddha asked, “If they kill you then what you will do?” Purna said, “Then I will thank them. Even otherwise death will take place one or the other day. I will thank them for giving me a chance for dying while walking on the path of spirituality. Gautam Buddha said, “ If you have so much of gratitude within, then you can go for sure.”


Remember that living in this state of gratitude is spirituality. Living in this state of gratitude is saintliness. In Osho Dhara people ask me that what is our destination, meditation or Samadhi. My reply is no. Then they ask me, “Is it ultimate knowledge?” I reply no, not even that. Then they ask me, “What is our destination?” I tell them that the destination is saintliness and saintliness means living in sumiran – divine remembrance with gratitude. This should be your destination. Remember that complaint is there where you are and gratitude is there where you want to reach. So go on increasing your gratitude and always remember one thing. I am telling you one secret of prayer. God does not give you what you wish. God gives you what you need. So be thankful in every situation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice blog. i liked it!
Surat